Alabama State Seal
Alabama Crime Victims
Compensation Commission

There is Hope. There is Help.


How to Apply

How Do I File A Claim?

Download and complete the application form application.pdf

The completed application can be returned by:
   FAX:  (334)290-4455
      Alabama Crime Victims Compensation Commission
      P.O. Box 231267
      Montgomery, Alabama 36123-1267

You may also contact the ACVCC office or for your Victims' Service Officer in your local District Attorney's Office questions concerning the application.

Who Can Apply?
   A person may apply that is an innocent victim, who has suffered personal injury or death as a result of the criminally injurious conduct and must not be
involved in the crime itself. "Criminally injurious conduct" is conduct that occur or poses a threat of personal injury or death, and is punishable by fine
or imprisonment or death.
Eligible Victim :
    1) A person who suffers physical or mental harm or death as a result of criminally injurious conduct committed within the State of Alabama.
    2) An Alabama resident that suffers personal injury or death as a result of criminally injurious conduct that occurs in a state that does not
         have a crime victims compensation program.
Eligible Claimant
   1) A victim of criminally injurious conduct
   2) A surviving spouse or the next of kin of a victim who has died because of criminally injurious conduct.
   3) A person authorized to act on behalf of a victim.

What Other Requirements Must Be Met?

What Compensation May Be Paid?
The maximum award is $15,000 (as of July 09, 2020) with limitations on certain expenses.

The award may cover the following:

The Commission pays only those expenses which are not covered by another source such as insurance, workman's compensation, etc.
The victim or claimant must not receive compensation from two sources.

Please Note:
Stolen property, property damage, checks or cash will not be covered by the Commission.
The Commission does not provide compensation for pain and suffering.

What Happens After I File?
Your claim will be investigated and processed to determine eligibility for compensation.
After the investigation is completed the information is reported to the Commission.
The Commission will render a decision on the eligibility of your claim.

How Will I Be Advised Of the Decision?
You will be mailed a copy of the decision explaining the status of your claim.
You may appeal the decision made by the Commission.